Junior Professional Officer for Nutrition (P2) – World Food Programme – Senegal
- Dakar, Dakar, Sénégal
Description du Poste
Position Title: Regional Nutrition Officer (Junior Professional Officer)
Unit: Regional Bureau Nutrition Unit
Supervisor: Regional Nutrition Advisor
Duty Station: Regional Bureau, Dakar (A)
Duration of Assignment: Two years
The new WFP’s Strategic Plan (2017–2021) and the new WFP’s Nutrition Policy provide the framework for WFP’s efforts towards achieving a world with zero hunger – the agency’s ultimate mission. It reaffirms WFP’s focus on the provision of nutrition sensitive food assistance for the poorest and most vulnerable women, men, boys and girls. That also sets out how WFP will contribute to the broader global goals of reducing risk and vulnerability to shocks, breaking the cycle of hunger, and achieving sustainable food security and nutrition, in line with the UN Secretary-General’s Zero Hunger Challenge and the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
Over the decades and worldwide, social protection has provided support to vulnerable and disadvantaged population groups. In effect, Social Protection and Resilience programming have cushioned and, in many instances, prevented vulnerable people from falling into states of poverty and undernutrition, while at the same time improving maternal and child nutrition, adult work productivity and food self-sufficiency.
The WFP Regional Bureau has an important role to play in supporting country-led social protection systems and resilience building framework, ensuring that the nutrition needs of the poorest and most vulnerable are met.
The WFP Regional Bureau is also engaged in the provision of strategic and technical assistance for the implementation of large scale nutrition interventions in response to emergency and protracted nutrition crisis and for the development of national Nutrition Capacity in nineteen countries of the West and Central Africa region.
Main Objectives of this Assignment
1. As part of the WFP Regional Bureau, assist Country offices in the West and Central Africa region in the design and implementation of nutrition sensitive and specific interventions in line with the 2017 WFP Nutrition Policy, and within the framework of social protection and resilience programming. Support nutrition interventions in WFP emergency, relief and development assistance.
2. Increase the knowledge of the JPO on nutrition programming, his/her understanding of the causes of maternal and child malnutrition and increase his/her ability to properly interpret the food security nutrition situation in order to advise WFP country offices, governments, and partners on the design of appropriate interventions addressing the immediate and underlying causes of maternal and child malnutrition, in line with WFP programme and policy standards.
Specific Duties and Tasks
The JPO will be supporting both the RBD Regional Nutrition Unit covering West and Central Africa and the Senegal Country Office, splitting time between the two offices and supporting projects in each. This will allow the incumbent to both learn broadly about WFP nutrition programming being undertaken in the region as well as to practically apply their knowledge to a country context.
Under the technical guidance and supervision of the Senior Regional Nutrition Advisor, and in coordination with the rest of the Regional Nutrition Unit and with other regional staff and country offices, the Regional Nutrition Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Support the design of WFP Regional Bureau Nutrition Strategy by ensuring alignment with the WFP’s 2017 Nutrition Policy, WFP’ Strategic Results Framework 2017-2021, and recommendations for the roll out of Integrated Road Map; support the COs in defining their line of sight and including nutrition appropriately in their country strategic plans.
2. Provide technical guidance to WFP country offices on nutrition programme and policy issues including assessment and analysis, nutrition programme design, and implementation modalities for nutrition specific (prevention and treatment of maternal and child malnutrition) and nutrition sensitive interventions (school meals, livelihoods supports programmes, social protection, etc.) in line with WFP standards and processes, through review of WFP projects related documents and field support missions.
3. Provide direct support to the Senegal Country Office in the management of nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive interventions, including programme design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and partnership.
4. Assist the Regional Nutrition Officer in charge of Monitoring & Evaluation and Knowledge Management in the strengthening information and knowledge management in close collaboration with the Country Offices, Regional Bureau and WFP Headquarters.
5. Represent WFP Regional Bureau Nutrition Unit in Nutrition coordination and inter sectorial fora on Nutrition at regional and country level, upon request
6. Any other relevant task as may be required.
Minimum Academic Qualifications
Advanced University degree in Public Health Nutrition, Nutrition, Medicine or other relevant field.
• At least 3 years post graduate experience in international development, preferably with a focus on international public health nutrition programme management.
• Experience working in public health, food security and nutrition related activities
• Experience and exposure to implementation of international development programmes
• Experience and exposure to emergency nutrition response is desired
Required Core and Functional Capabilities
• Fluent in English and French (proficiency level C).
• Good analytical and drafting skills.
• Ability to engage effectively with a wide range of actors from multicultural background, including those in the international development and humanitarian community and governments.
• Good computer knowledge and skills.
• Ability to handle any other additional tasks as requested by his supervisor.
Supervision and Training Components
The supervisory role will include:
• A comprehensive briefing by the Regional Nutrition team and the Senegal Country Office team.
• Desk review of reference documents and corporate guidance.
• Interviews with key stakeholders at Regional Bureau and Country Office level.
• Missions to country offices with experienced WFP regional and country staff.
• An annual work plan will be jointly elaborated by the Senior Regional Nutrition Advisor and the JPO as per the terms of reference for this position.
• Mentorship by the Senior Regional Nutrition Advisor and the Senegal Head of Programme.
• Regular and ad hoc feedback sessions with the Senior Regional Nutrition Advisor to monitor progress against annual work plan, and to identify learning opportunities.
At the end of the two-year assignment, the JPO should have acquired:
• A good knowledge of public health nutrition; of the multiples causes of malnutrition; of the relationships between different types of malnutrition and the ability to articulate conceptual model of malnutrition.
• A good ability to analyze the causes of malnutrition and to prepare analytical report on the food security and nutrition situation at country level.
• A good knowledge and understanding of global, regional nutrition related policies and strategies, including WFP corporate programme and policy standards related to Nutrition.
• A good ability to leverage nutrition knowledge to provide technical assistance to WFP country offices, governments and partners for the design and implementation of nutrition programmes applying WFP standards and corporate guidance.
Comment postulerTo apply, please follow this link.
In your request, indicate that you have found this opportunity on imaginafrica.net
- Pas de mots clés
111 vues totales, 2 aujourd'hui