Médecins Sans Frontières -Spain is looking for an Entomologist Study Manager – Médecins Sans Frontières – South Sudan
- Juba, Central Equatoria, Soudan du Sud
Description du Poste
Conduct WHO insecticide resistance test in Upper Nile State in South Sudan, and help preparing the emergency response in Vector Control for containing Malaria Outbreaks.
• Conduct an assessment on the mosquito population that is present in Malakal PoC and Arbroch (or a designed site in the West bank), identifying visually (or with the aid of a microscope) the anopheles species that are present. Follow Gillies and Coetzee Identification Guidelines for Anopheles in Subsaharian Africa.
• For each of these locations, conduct identification of the main breeding sites and estimates of the density of mosquitoes by the use of the CDC light traps and procopack aspirator.
• If possible, assess the mosquito density at different times of the evening to inform on the mosquito behaviour.
• Collect larvae of the anopheles mosquitoes present in the area.
• Set up an insectarium in which larvae can be reared and enough mosquitoes can be developed to conduct the required diagnosis tests.
• Conduct resistance tests using the WHO cones (for the major anopheles specie identified) to the following insecticides:
• Bendiocarb 0.1%
• Pirimiphos-methil 0.25%
• Pyrethroids (permethrin 0.75%, Deltamethrin 0.05%, Alphacyprmethrine 0.05%) with and without PBO (4%)
• Follow the last WHO guidelines for testing resistance: Test procedures for insecticide resistance monitoring in malaria vector mosquitoes (second edition), from WHO. See link:
• Compile all the tests results and capitalize them in the form of a report, making sure the WHO reporting forms are also filled up, so results could be shared with the international community through IR Mapper and the National Malaria Control Team.
• Prepare a draft document suggesting the best vector control response strategy to follow (mostly in terms of IRS and mosquito nets) based on the susceptibility observed in the resistance tests. The vector control response should try to minimize the built up of resistance.
• Ensuring the quality of the data collected and the quality of all the tests performed.
• Provide technical support to the IRS team that might be conducting a full IRS campaign if needed.
• Responsible of the planning, training and performance of the Entomologist assistant.
• Provide systematic feedback to the Logistic Manager and Coordinator, as per request.
• Academic background in medical entomology
• Previous experience conducting visual identification of Anopheles Mosquitoes.
• Familiar with the use of CDC light traps, and the capture of adult mosquitoes.
• Desirable: experience in or familiar with the WHO insecticide resistance testing, rearing mosquitos larvae, and setting up and managing insectariums.
• People Management and Development
• Commitment to MSF Participles
• Behavioural Flexibility
• Results and Quality Orientation
• Teamwork and Cooperation
Comment postulerTo apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “ENTOMSF” to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME. Closing date: 2nd June**, 2017** Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates. Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.
In your request, indicate that you have found this opportunity on imaginafrica.net
- Pas de mots clés
189 vues totales, 1 aujourd'hui