Senior Finance Assistant – UNICEF – Sao Tome and Principe
- São Tomé, Sao Tomé-et-Principe
- Catégorie de l'Offre: Ressources humaines
- Date de l'offre:11 Sep 2017
- Partager l'annonce:
Description du Poste
Organizational Context and Purpose for the job
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Job organizational context
The Sr. Finance Assistant position assists in the interpretation and application of financial and accounting rules in line with UNICEF policies and procedures thereby contributing to the achievement of UNICEF Sao Tome CO programme objectives.
Purpose for the job
Under the close technical supervision of the Area Operations Manager, assists in the area of finance and accounting control, recording, reporting of assets, liabilities and income. Monitors the appropriate disbursement of funds and payments of accounts in accordance with the rules, regulations and established budgetary limits.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
Participates in and supervises a variety of tasks such as the following:
• Maintenance of ledgers and accounting records for classification and recording of financial transactions and for the reconciliation of accounts and preparation of recurring or special reports;
• Calculation and payment of salaries, allowances, travel claims and other payments to staff members, experts and consultants, vendors and other claimants;
• Maintenance of cash books, including control of disbursements and balancing of books and ledgers;
• Preparation of financial data for budget estimates and financial planning;
• Reconciliation of cash books with bank statements;
• Maintaining liaisons with officials of local banks and financial institutions to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations, and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts.
• Assists higher level officers in all aspects of accounts maintenance and budget control by providing reports on financial status, procedures, exchange rates, costs and expenditures, and potential funding problems.
• Supervises and trains two or more staff members, providing accounting clerical assistance and evaluates their work.
• Briefs staff on the application and interpretation of UN/UNICEF accounting and financial rules, regulations, procedures and policies.
Performs other duties, as required.
Impact on results
Recommends on application of rules, regulations, policies and procedures involving more complex financial matters, as well as new or improved methods and procedures. Such recommendations affect the efficient management of the office. Errors in interpretation and application of accounting and financial rules or inappropriate advice to staff members would cause delays in issuing payments, may result in loss of financial resources, as well as damage to the image and credibility of the office and well-being of the staff.
Competencies and level of proficiency required
• Diversity and inclusion
• Communication [II]
• Working with people [II]
• Drive for Results [II]
• Analyzing [I]
• Relating and Networking [III]
• Deciding and Initiating Action [II]
• Following Instruction and Procedures [III]
Comment postulerUNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=506973
In your request, indicate that you have found this opportunity on imaginafrica.net
- Pas de mots clés
121 vues totales, 2 aujourd'hui